The cliff of an abandoned quarry is not exactly what comes to mind when most people visualize a luxury hotel. But you’ll most likely be shocked to find the world’s first subterranean luxury hotel that goes down to about 290 feet into the heart of the earth.
The Intercontinental Shanghai Wonderland China is a sight to behold, and that’s not an exaggeration. Affluent travelers looking for exquisite hotels in Shanghai are sure to find a unique lodging experience here.
What’s Special about the Hotel?
The Wonderland stands tall among the top-rated hotels in Shanghai, although literary speaking, it is only a two-story building when viewed from the driveway. But that’s just the tip of the iceberg. The rest of the hotel’s 16 floors goes underground and gives the luxury hotel it’s unmatched famed in the entire region.
If you are planning to spend some quality time in the Shanghai province, away from all the hustle and bustle of the commercial and industrial city, you should definitely consider the Intercontinental Shanghai Wonderland China. Whether you are on a business trip or on vacation, we are certain that you will enjoy an adventure to the center of the earth, as presented by this spectacular hotel.
The ingenious design of the hotel was not only aimed at making it functional (which, indeed, it is) but to also give travelers a place that would be the perfect blend of nature’s tranquility with the city’s busy life.
Here, you will get to experience the magnificence of a building hailed as the “world’s architectural miracle” as it literally comes out of nature (some have also called it the “earth-scraper” hotel). From the natural cascading cliffs to the glass waterfall and the intricately designed wings, the hotel is nothing short of breathtaking.
We would love to highlight all the jaw-dropping wonders in Wonderland, but this post will focus on what to expect when visiting the amazing yin-yang style architectural masterpiece, including amenities, attraction, prices, and how to access the luxury hotel from different airports.
Getting to the Hotel
Located in the Songjiang district of Shanghai, Wonderland is just about 40 minutes drive away from the city’s National Exhibition and Convention Center. You can access the hotel from a couple of nearby airports, including the Pu Dong Airport, which is about 40 minutes drive away. The closest airport is the Hongqiao Airport. It will take approximately 15 minutes to drive from Hongqiao to the luxury hotel.
On arrival to any of the airports, guests can get to the Intercontinental Shanghai Wonderland China by car, taxi, or subway. Expect to spend between $4 and $8 dollars and up to 44 minutes if you use the subway. It takes a little less than 30 minutes to cover the 37 km distance by car or taxi when driving to the hotel, and cabs usually charge between $18 and $22.
If you prefer hassle-free transport, the hotel offers an airport shuttle for guests. If you want to use this service, it is best to put a call through and confirm details ahead of your arrival.
For guests who will like to see the Intercontinental Shanghai Wonderland China in all of its glory, a trip in a helicopter will give you a breathtaking perspective of the hotel. There is a helicopter pad in the middle of the resort where guests can land safely.
Of course, each guest room in the Intercontinental Shanghai Wonderland China features a flat-screen TV with satellite channels and air conditioning. How else would it be ranked among the best Shanghai hotels if it doesn’t have these basic room amenities?
But beyond these must-have room conveniences and comforts, each room has a desk and a kettle, in case you want to make your own coffee or tea. There are showers and baths in all the private bathrooms of each unit, with some having jetted tubs. In addition to the usual free toiletries found in most hotel bathrooms, you will find a hairdryer and wardrobe in every of the guest rooms.
Another fascinating technology in the rooms is the voice control feature that allows guests to conveniently adjust lighting levels and room temperatures. Other smart services include paying for your meals by scanning your face, opening your room door without the use of card keys, and checking into rooms even without the help of receptionists.
As one of the most iconic and first-rate hotels in Shanghai, you can expect the Intercontinental Shanghai Wonderland China to have just about all the amenities that make for a world-class luxury hotel.
First, there is free parking available to guests who arrive by car (perhaps a rented one, for international travelers). There is a 24-hour front desk that caters to your needs. There’s no need to worry if forgot to change your cash before arriving in China. You can conveniently do so using the front desk’s currency exchange service. Plus, there is an ATM machine available.
Fitness fans and those who like to stay in good shape can access the well-equipped fitness center complete with locker rooms for guests to enjoy throughout their stay in the hotel. If you prefer to spend your afternoon tending your delicate skin, simply saunter to the wellness center or the in-house spa and enjoy a sauna bath or hop into the hot tub for a uniquely relaxing experience.
Are you traveling with your kids? They are not left out, too. There’s a fully-functional children’s playground for your young ones to have all the fun they want. Also, the hotel boasts of a kid’s club to keep your children occupied.
There is a functional business center with state-of-the-art facilities available at the Intercontinental Shanghai Wonderland China. Other business services include meeting rooms and a tastefully furnished modern banquet hall. Guests can also access free Wi-Fi at the premises.
With two out of the 18 floors of the building located underwater, it is easy to imagine an indoor pool in the hotel. But one of the spectacular features is the inclusion of private saltwater aquariums for six underwater suites.
In addition, all the rooms come with a balcony fitted with a comfortable theater box. Guests can spend their evenings enjoying the mesmerizing nightly water show, which can be viewed from each hotel room.
As if that’s not captivating enough, you can customize the light show for your special occasions, such as proposals, anniversaries, or celebrations. With all of these amenities, it is not so difficult to see why the International Shanghai Wonderland China is the preferred place to stay among other Shanghai hotels.
Food and Drink Options
Breakfast is free for guests at the Intercontinental Shanghai Wonderland China. The menu includes American, Asian, Continental, and buffet options.
The resort features five on-site restaurants, three of which include YueHu Xuan, Katsumoto, and Wo Ge Si restaurants where you can enjoy (or try out) mouthwatering delicacies.
Popular Attractions Nearby
Here is a list of some of the closest and easily accessible attractions from the hotel:
• Drive for about 1.7 miles from the hotel for an opportunity to visit the site of the famous Songjiang Xia Wanchun and His Son’s Tombs. Here, you can learn the history of the father and son who lost their lives fighting against Manchu warriors during the Qing and Ming dynasties.
• Take a short 2.5 miles trip from all the luxuries in Wonderland and spend some time at the Playa Maya Water Park. The massive water theme park is packed full of fun activities for both adults and kids.
• The Sheshan National Forest Park is situated about 2.7 miles away from the hotel. It is an excellent location for guests who want to connect with nature in a unique way and take in all the awe-inspiring sights of the gorgeous natural scenery.
• To visit one of Shanghai’s most breathtaking landmarks, a quick drive of about 4.6 miles from the Intercontinental Shanghai Wonderland China will bring you face-to-face with the imposing Jin Mao Tower. The 88-story skyscraper is 1,380 feet tall (420.5 meters) and has extra five floors in the spire.
• If you are up for it, take a short trip of about 4.6 miles to the Happy Valley of Shanghai and spend an entire afternoon at one of Shanghai’s most impressive amusement parks. Your kids will likely have an experience they won’t forget in a hurry. Explore the seven different theme zones, including Typhoon Bay, Sunshine Habor, Shangri-la Woods, Happy Ocean, and more.
• For guests who would like to explore one of the largest collection of plants in Shanghai, can take a quick trip to the Shanghai Chenshan Botanical Gardens, about 1.8 miles from Wonderland. This unique garden conserves close to 15,000 different plants. The plants are beautifully grouped into nearly 30 theme parks. Side attractions include a children’s garden, a treehouse, a pirate boat, and a 4D cinema.
For guests who prefer to spend most of their time within the hotel premises, there is simply no dull moment. If you like rock climbing, you can spend quality time climbing the cliff which is about 290 feet tall, or go for a helicopter ride to the theme park right next to the hotel. If those are not your idea of fun, you can opt for an exciting kayaking experience around the water-filled quarry.
How much can you expect to pay for a chance to enjoy all the luxuries in one of the best Shanghai hotels? The prices for the different units vary depending on the category, duration (dates of your stay), and the hotel’s policy.
Here are the different rooms and available longing arrangements:
• Twin Room with two single beds (for 3 adults and 2 kids)
• Garnet King room with one double bed (for 3 adults and 2 kids)
• Ruby room with one extra-large double bed (for 3 adults and 2 kids)
• Ruby Twin room with two single beds (for 3 adults and 2 kids)
• Sapphire King room with one extra-large double bed (for 2 adults and 1 child)
• King Club room with one extra-large double bed (for 2 adults and 1 child)
• Premier room with an underwater view (for 3 adults and 2 kids)
• Suite with waterfall view (for 3 adults and 2 kids)
• Suite with an underwater view (for 3 adults and 2 kids)
• Deluxe King room with 1 extra-large double bed (for 3 adults and 2 kids)
While the prices may vary, the average price for staying in the hotel is $404 with free cancellation (depending on the site from where you are doing the booking).
This amount is reasonable as it compares favorably with similar top-ranking Shanghai hotels. Here’s a quick rundown of the cost of staying in some of these hotels.
1. Bulgari Hotel Shanghai, $557
2. Capella Shanghai, Jian Ye Li, $411
3. The Peninsula Shanghai, $309
4. Bellagio by MGM Shanghai on the bund, $294
5. The Ritz-Carlton Shanghai, Pudong, $294
6. Waldorf Astoria Shanghai on the Bund, $278
7. Fairmont Peace Hotel on the Bund, $269
8. The Puli Hotel And Spa, $260
9. Park Hyatt Shanghai, $253
10. Shanghai Center Serviced Apartment, $223
Get Your China Visa and Pack Your Bags!
If you have plans to visit Shanghai or China in general, you should not miss the opportunity to visit this amazing architectural landmark. It has continued to wow travelers, even those who have visited the place more than once.
However, the first step in actualizing your dream to visit the iconic Intercontinental Shanghai Wonderland China is to obtain a China Visa. Many travelers have had less than satisfying experiences with processing visas. But that’s not the case with Visa Express. They are well-positioned to facilitate your application for a China visa.